Thursday, June 5, 2014

Headline Poem 6/5/14 -- A Calf on Hollow Road

Tonight, I came across a story about a little brown calf on an educational website in Scotland. It inspired today's poem. 

A Calf on Hollow Road

know he is a new calf 
too weak to walk alone
Who only wants a teat to suck
And 
To be nurtured and loved,
But it's growing cold 
and I've got places to go
And I'm afraid if I stay to love him,
He'll die anyway,
and then what? 

I have a farm and a lodge 
and a hay stack ten feet high 
with one less mouth to feed. 
And then there's mine. 
And I'm afraid I won't want to eat. 

So I starve in preparation 
for the day 
he leaves,
knowing  it's a long trek and
he needs me. The earth needs me. 
I'm afraid I'll be unworthy 
by being 
miserable and aggressive 
and 
Hollow and Mean. 

Because I know all he wants is me. 
Happy. 
And content. 
  But 
   even if he  
      stays today
And tomorrow, 
  and   the   next,
I'm not sure that's 
 
what 
 he'll
 get.

The truth is, 
love   is   the 
meadow 
  that    surrounds   
    us. 
Regardless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment