Thursday, January 9, 2014

Headline Poem 1/9/14 -- Squeezebox Expansion

(Photo credit The Atlantic)

I hope I don't embarrass my husband and his siblings too much, but as a kid in the early 1970's, his mom made a lot of their clothes. He has an older brother, a younger sister, and a younger brother, and they were all fortunate enough to wear handmade, matching outfits. Picture Christmas photos and a lot of plaid! To top it off, my husband and his older brother played the accordion. Oh ya! I'm sure it built character, and hey, musicians are hot right?! This leads me to today's headline from The Atlantic -- "Accordions: So Hot Right Now, once considered glamorous and sexy, then forgotten, the instrument is making a comeback."

The article explains that European immigrants introduced the accordion to the U.S. in the 1800's, but that it really started to take off just before World War I. It became cool, sexy, and important. By the 1950's it was one of the most played instruments, and heck even Elvis and Lennon rocked them! The accordion lost its popularity for awhile, but it is now back because of bands like Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, and The Lumineers. So, to recognize the hotness of the accordion, here is today's headline poem. Enjoy!

Squeezebox Expansion

compressing and expanding
bellows
of the squeezebox expansion
not an easy task
keys, buttons, pallets, reeds
breath 
produces vibration that produces sound
in and out
not made for the weak of 
heart
sweat dripping from the brow,
falls heavily onto the instrument
changes 
the sound
bodies and grilles
mechanisms meant to 
last

mumford and sons belts out tunes
youtube 'white blank page' 
and
tell me accordion,
"where is my fault in loving you,
with my whole heart"

gratifying, pleasing
tunes
miraculously melting your
ears
sitting on the park bench
staring 
at the screen
soon,
you will be tapping
along
ebbing and flowing 
with 
your own imaginary, invisible 
machine



 

No comments:

Post a Comment