Thursday, January 2, 2014

Headline Poem 1/1/14 -- Homage to a priest

Happy 2014! I am going to attempt to write a poem each day based on a headline in the news. I have no clue where this will lead, and if this starts to become a chore, I will stop, because the last thing I want is for writing and staying informed to be something I "have to do." The first day of 2014 was great on a personal level. I spent the day relaxing with my beautiful family on the Northcoast of California; however, the New Year's Day headline that caught my eye was a sad one. Here is my first poem of 2014, based on a story in the Eureka Times Standard about a local priest's murder. Total downer, I know... BUT, in spite of the horrible crime, I am writing my first poem to pay tribute to this man of God, a stranger, and to start the process of documenting this year of news, in my words. May 2014 bring adventures, health, and love!

(Photo credit Eureka Times Standards)

Homage to a priest

A popular priest found dead in the church rectory
January 1st, 9 a.m.
He did not show for morning mass
Something is wrong with Rev. Freed -- please pray
The ambulance is called off
This is a homicide instead
The killer is at large
Church littered with yellow caution tape
On the first day of the new year
Yellow is the color of sunshine and flowers and love
Today it is of endings and crime and danger
The investigation is ongoing
Be aware





No comments:

Post a Comment