Monday, January 20, 2014

Headline Poem 1/20/14 -- Happy, now and then

(Photo credit Pinterest)

Today's poem came from the headline, "Happier people keep healthier as they age." It makes sense that the happier you are, the healthier you are. The article even notes that helping older people stay happy is good for the individual, and for society. I just finished a bike ride and picnic with my husband and three kids, and this article from LiveScience inspired me to reflect a bit on my life now, and then.

Happy, now and then

I know there will be a day when I will wake not because there is work to do but because there is nothing particular to do, and I will decide where, and if, I'd like to begin

The house will demand straightening, but the beds upstairs will already be made in the mornings, instead of messy from dreams of goblins and princesses -- oh how I will miss that!

There will be no cereal, or jelly on the table after breakfast, no socks littered at the bottom of the stairs (unless they're mine), no yelling out reminders to brush hair and teeth, or time-left warnings of 5 and ten minutes until... 

I know one day I will calmly walk through the house contemplating which album to play the whole way through 
My husband and I will sit peacefully on the porch, like we do now, listening to the church bells and birds, and talk about the day

We will smile fondly, even longingly, when a young family passes by... we remember those days, we will say -- it wasn't easy, but it sure was fun

I know that one day life will be simpler and quieter and completely up to me, and him -- we will have made it through the wild years, and will know what that means like no one else

Memories of us are ours, things only  we've shared will hang in picture frames, and be recalled over dinner with friends 
The relief will show in loving lines across our faces, deep and defined, because we earned them 

We will be super heroes with silver hair sharing a life that's completely different, but still ours, ready for round two 

No comments:

Post a Comment