Sunday, January 19, 2014

Headline Poem 1/19/14 -- Syria

(Photo credit focusonsyria.com)

Syria is a place I have never visited. My grandfather's father was from there. It seems every day I read of more lives lost in this war-torn place. Today, the headline that caught my eye is Iran being invited to attend the Syrian peace conference. Hopefully, there can be peace there soon. Makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to visit the far off places my family members once called home... time will tell. 

Syria

Abandoned Aleppo
Name changed 
American soil becomes home
Left before his own blood could stain the walls red
Different women cook old recipes
Liquor smooth and wet, 
they adjust 
Belly laughs pierce new rooms
While he wonders if future great-great grandchildren will ever return 
to the place he left 
before he knew them

No comments:

Post a Comment