Monday, February 24, 2014

Headline Poem 2/24/14 -- Tell me about yourself

(Photo credit Google Image)

Today's poem is based on an article from U.S. News about the 7 most common interview questions, and how to answer them. This is not breaking news by any means, but hey, it gave me a chance to write about my beloved Altoids.

Tell me about yourself

It's funny to think
about the opening question
answers come to mind
completely irrelevant and unimportant
I eat a banana a day, but do not like banana bread
My favorite color used to be blue, but now I prefer red
I worry about sun exposure, but love the outdoors

What!?
The pressure mounts
as you anxiously await
the few minutes you have
to tell complete strangers
(or those you have worked with for years -- you already know this!)
everything about your professional life
leading up to this point

If you're anything like me,
you are nervously, yet calmly,
eating a sugar free Altoid,
so much smaller and milder than regular ones,
and completely vegan, and kosher, go figure!

Water is offered
you don't want to be rude,
but you don't want to drink,
and then have to use the loo
right when they call your name
she was here a minute ago?
you look down,
noticing the ridiculous small talk on the container --
something about pregnant mermaids
it's almost time

You rehearse again,
in your mind
how you will stand, smile, and shake
approaching hands
hello,
thank you for having me...
for having me?
nice to meet you
how do you do? Too formal, be yourself
The most common questions may include
how will you excel,
and what do you hope to do?
You answer, one at a time,
about new challenges, initiative,
evidence of both

Ahh you are done
You leave, relieved
Pop another Altoid,
and head on home...

No comments:

Post a Comment