Thursday, September 11, 2014

Headline Poem 9/11/14 -- On that day

Like many of you, I am haunted by the tragic images of September 11, 2001. I've always been particularly haunted by the images of men and women jumping from buildings on that day. I can't imagine the sheer terror that must have been going through their minds as they fell, perhaps hopeful a miracle would happen and they'd live, or perhaps succumbed to the idea that they'd die. This poem hurts to write. I never want to feel what must have been felt. 
I send a prayer to all those who lost their lives, who helped, and who survived on that day. I pay tribute the way I know how. Peace. 💛❤️

On that morning 

I didn't wake up 
this morning 
planning to jump 
from a building. 

I have so much to live for, 
and now
I'm falling. 
In a matter of seconds,

I could be dead. 

I could land on something 
soft, but I'm too high up. 
This is awful. 
Please
  make it quick.  
Please 
  let this not hurt. 

Please 
tell my babies 
I love them with every piece
of my soul, and that I will 
visit them in their dreams 
for the rest of their lives. 
Let my husband and my friends
and my mom and dad also 
know.  
I've had a good life. 
I'm scared. 

What the fuck 
is going on? 

Dear God, 
Please be with me 
when I 
land. 
I love roses and giraffes and spaghetti. 
The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment