Thursday, December 25, 2014

Headline Poem 12/25/14 -- A Prayer for Sierra Leone



Merry Christmas, or Happy December 25th! Today's poem is a prayer for Sierra Leone. It was inspired by a woman named Lynn who is working every day to help the most vulnerable in West Africa, including those currently fighting for their lives in the face of the Ebola crisis. Here is a link to her website, Greatest Goal Ministries, that exists solely on donations. Please consider giving what you can here, or to Doctors Without Borders who provide medical aide all over the world to those in need, including those dealing with the Ebola virus. As you celebrate with your family and friends, please remember them, and if you pray, keep them in yours.
As we celebrate the birth of Christ and gather with friends and loved ones, please take a moment to remember those living in West Africa suffering through this Ebola crisis and those helping to fight it.  I have only been here about 3 weeks and I am tired.  The Nationals, Doctors without Borders and others have been fighting it for as long as 6 months. 
Progress is being made but no end is yet in sight.  Prayer and more people on the ground joining the fight is the only way this will end. Lynn Pelton, GGM 

A Prayer for Sierra Leone 

I write this tonight thousands of miles from where you are, but close enough to feel your gift of healing hands pressed gently on humanity's skin. I offer you my humble words of gratitude, and a prayer for Sierra Leone. I have no magic to spread, but instead, cover you in love.

I pray for your loved ones back home who miss you, but rejoice in the work you do.

I pray that those of us who have a coat for warmth and a soft place to fall, give what we can.

I pray for the baby girl who latches on to a bottle because her mama's dying, and from now on that's all she'll know.

I pray for the business owner with trembling hands who hopes that by being closed, death will skip his door.

I pray for Muslims and Christians who are imprisoned in their homes because Christmas has been cancelled by a virus that breaths deep, poisonous breaths.

I pray for the doctors and nurses who hunch over patients one by one without a break, ships not wrecked, but anchored with intention and drenched from love.

I pray for the bending woman on the verge of breaking down in the bed she made, and some days wants to stay, but won't.

I pray that at least once we all journey to a holy place where the only souvenirs to bring home are strings left on our hearts.

I pray we do not forget you and your tireless work.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment